At the end of the tutorial, you will be able to build synonym search engine on your mobile using the Apicultur API.
Register on Apicultur
APIcultur is a platform for linguistic APIs where you can find dictionary APIs, spelling activities, phonetic transcriptors and much more.
1. To use the Apicultur APIs you have to register in order to create a user account. Once you have an account, you can enter Apicultur via Login.
2. In this tutorial we are going to use the Word Synonyms API. In order to use it, first you have to enter into your user account via Login and once you’re on the API page you can create a new application that you can call what you like (SynonymApp, for example).
3. Return to the API’s homepage and press “Subscribe”
4.Go to My Subscriptions and press Generate en Keys in order to create your Apicultur key. We will use the key generated in the Access Token.
Register on Appery.io
In order to register on Appery.io press Sign-Up and create your Apery account
Create a project
Once logged into Appery enter the name of your app (For example: Synonyms) and press Create
On the startScreen create a design that contains the following components:
- Element Input. Press Placeholder to overwrite
- Label within Grid
Each element can be configured individually within Properties on the right of the screen. Therefore, you can personalize your app giving it the appearance that you want.
Add Apicultur API
On the Sinónimos por palabra page you will find the link that you should use to call the API. On that same page you can test the functioning of the API by introducing your word and pressing Try out.
In order to make the call you should do the following in Appery:
1. On the left side of the screen you will find the button Create New. Press and select Service.
2. Click on Create Service with the REST option activated. The service editor will open.
3. In Name write the name of the service (For example: SinonimosApicultur)
4. In Url write the address of the API:
5. Open the Request tab. We have to introduce the APIs options:
- Authorization (necessary in all Apicultur APIs) Press Add
- Word (the option that goes between keys in the link) Press Add
6. In the Authorization option, in the Default Value box, we introduce the word ‘Bearer’ and our Apicultur key (which we generated upon registering). We tick the Header box.
7. Open the Test tab and make a call to the API (enter a word beside Word and press the test) button
8. Press the Automatically Create Service Response button
Link the service to the app
1. Return to the StarScreen and open the Data tab.
2. In Add Datasource select Service y SinonimosApicultur. Press Add
3. Rename the service BuscaSinonimos
4. Press Edit Mapping.
5. The Request tab will open. You have to link the Input component with the Word option in this way (just drag the component):
6. Open the Reponse tab and link in this way:
- This $ symbol will go with the Grid
- “Value” will go with the Label component (it will be where the synonyms appear)
Call the service
- Open the Design tab and select the Button Find Synonyms
- Open the Events tab from the bottom
- In Action select Invoke Service and “Find Synonyms”
- Press Add
Test the App
In the upper right corner, press the Test button. This will open a new tab where you can test the app.
Export your app
Press the Export button and choose the option that you want (publish on Android, on IOS, etc).
If you want to download your app onto your computer you can press the .apk button below Release binary. This will download a file that you can send by email in order to download and install the app on a mobile device.